Each month, the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of South Africa (Naamsa) releases the figures for new car sales.
These detail new car sales figures within South African borders. We've decided to bring you the top ten sellers — in the passenger car segment — each month, starting with January 2012.
For the record, there was a growth of 8.8 percent year-on-year to 49 111 units in January 2012, compared with the same period a year earlier. And this year's was the strongest January recorded for new passenger car sales since 2007. Interestingly, Hyundai and Kia do not submit their figures.
So, what made the list? Well, VW dominated, claiming the top two spots and three overall, while Toyota snuck in at third and fifth. Chevrolet also managed to crack the top ten with two different models, and the oddball Juke (see our recent review here) continues to do Nissan proud.
Check out the full list below, with the figure in parentheses the sales number from the previous month — in this case, December 2011.
Passenger cars for January 2012:
1. Volkswagen Polo Vivo - 2964 (down from 3060)
2. Volkswagen Polo - 2644 (up from 2114)
3. Toyota Corolla/Auris - 1598 (up from 1394)
4. Ford Figo - 1337 (up from 1172)
5. Toyota Yaris - 882 (up from 878)
6. Volkswagen Golf 6 - 659 (up from 512)
7. Chevrolet Aveo - 657 (down from 779)
8. Chevrolet Cruze - 606 (up from 527)
9. Nissan Juke - 602 (up from 492)
10. BMW 3 Series - 590 (down from 641)