Japanese Formula One driver Kamui Kobayashi said on Tuesday he would sit out the 2013 season after being unable to find a team to drive for.
The 26-year-old had been part of the Sauber-Ferrari team since the 2010 season, but left after being replaced by Esteban Gutierrez.
"I was in the position to bring a budget of €8-million (R90-million; $10.5-million) at least," he wrote on his official website.
"Unfortunately, I am not able to secure a seat with a competitive F1 team for 2013."
Kobayashi had collected around €8-million in corporate sponsorship and donations from fans as he sought to buy his way into a team.
He said he would now stop soliciting donations and turn his attention to securing a seat in 2014.
"I have no interest in racing in any other category," added Kobayashi, who became only the third Japanese driver to mount a Formula One podium when he finished third at the Japanese Grand Prix in Suzuka in October.
Formula One does not have a large following in Japan, and the races are not shown live on television.