This backyard mechanic from Mitchells Plain never anticipated that fixing a car would be to his detriment.
He was fixing an electrical fault when the car burst into flames and spread into his house which nearly burnt it to the ground.
According to IOL, he was working on his Daewoo when the petrol tank caught on fire and set another car alight on his property as well. He however made his escape from the back seat through the boot of the car.
His left leg was severely burnt and his family members were treated for smoke inhalation, IOL reports.
“I am a part-time mechanic," he said.
"I help the community also. I tried to fix my own car. There was an electrical problem and I was trying to fix it. I was sitting at the back, trying to do the electrical when the tank started burning and I couldn't stop it.
“There was dark smoke inside and I ran to the bathroom and filled the bath with water and used buckets [to douse the flames]. I want to thank my neighbours who helped to get people out of the house.”